Cape Town Convention Centre expands

first_img5 May 2011The Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) is set for a R4.5-billion expansion that will include the creation of 10 000 square metres of retail space, a hospital, an office tower, numerous basement parking bays and the regeneration of Founder’s Garden.Funding to create a “convention precinct” is being sourced from the CTICC, the City of Cape Town and the Western Cape Provincial Government, and the development will create more than 8 000 jobs annually by 2018.According to CTICC chief executive Rashid Toefy, there is a strong business case for the expansion, which will unblock construction and development opportunities in the precinct and have a multiplier effect on the economy.A recent feasibility study by the University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business on the impact of the expansion found that its contribution to the national economy could rise from the current R2.3-billion to over R5.1-billion annually.Successful public-private partnershipThe centre was developed in 2003 at a cost of R565-million, with funding from the City of Cape Town, the provincial government and SunWest. The City contributed R284-million of that, giving it a 50.18% majority shareholding and making the centre a municipal entity.While it was originally envisaged to be a loss leader with the city merely covering its operating costs, the centre has outperformed those expectations be becoming a profit centre in its own right.“Both operating and capital costs are being recovered, it has paid rates, never needed any further funding from [the city council] after the original investment and has even been in a position to pay a dividend although this has never happened,” said Cape Town’s mayoral committee member for economic development and tourism, Felicity Purchase, at the announcement in Cape Town last week.“It is a wonderful example of a successful partnership between business and government.”The City approved funding of R550-million towards this venture over the 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 financial years, as well as R150-million for the purchase of various land parcels and related statutory processes.Destination of choice in AfricaSince opening its doors in 2003, the centre has contributed to the creation of more than 53 000 direct and indirect jobs and has made a cumulative contribution of over R14-billion to the national gross domestic product (GDP) and over R4-billion to gross geographical product (GGP).The CTICC is already the leading convention centre in Africa. At present it is ranked 35th in the world, but aims to be in the top 10.“The CTICC has over the years become the flagship events and conference venue in the City,” said Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato. “I am certain that the expansion will bolster the City’s goal to be the destination of choice in Africa.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img read more

Read More →

Boeing says MCAS pilot messages involved simulator still under test

first_imgPhoto: Boeing Boeing believes an interchange between two pilots about aggressive MCAS software related to an incomplete simulator program and says it briefed regulators about the now controversial 737 MAX flight control changes “on multiple occasions”.The release of messages between the pilots sent the company’s share price tumbling on Friday after the US Federal Aviation Administration demanded an urgent explanation about why it was only now seeing the exchange.Boeing said in a statement released Sunday that it understood and regretted the concern the release of the messages by technical pilot Mark Forkner had caused, particularly to the FAA and other regulators.In the exchange, Forkner says the MCAS ” is running rampant in the sim” and worries about unintentionally misleading regulators.Forner, who has since left Boeing, was involved in the development of training and manuals for the MAX.READ: Pilot MCAS messages plunge Boeing into fresh crisisThe release comes at a delicate time for the manufacturer as it continues to deal with the regulators on getting the grounded MAX fleet back in the air.“It is unfortunate that this document, which was provided early this year to government investigators, could not be released in a manner that would have allowed for meaningful explanation,’’ Boeing said.“While we have not been able to speak to Mr. Forkner directly about his understanding of the document, he has stated through his attorney that his comments reflected a reaction to a simulator program that was not functioning properly, and that was still undergoing testing.“We are continuing to investigate the circumstances of this exchange, and are committed to identifying all the available facts relating to it, and to sharing those facts with the appropriate investigating and regulatory authorities. “Boeing said it engaged in an extensive process with the FAA to determine pilot training requirements for the 737 MAX 8, part of “a complex, multiyear effort that involved a large number of individuals at both Boeing and the FAA”.“In that regulatory process, Boeing informed the FAA about the expansion of the Maneuvering Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) to low speeds, including by briefing the FAA and international regulators on multiple occasions about MCAS’s final configuration,’’ it said.“The process also included evaluation of MCAS in low-speed configurations for both training and certification.“The simulator software used during the November 15 session was still undergoing testing and qualification and had not been finalized, but it, too, provided for MCAS operation at low speed.“Separately, a low-speed version of MCAS was installed on the airplanes used for training-related flight testing that the FAA administered in August 2016.“And FAA personnel also observed the operation of MCAS in its low-speed configuration during certification flight testing, beginning in August 2016 and continuing through January 2017.“We understand entirely the scrutiny this matter is receiving, and are committed to working with investigative authorities and the U.S. Congress as they continue their investigations. “last_img read more

Read More →

Probable line-ups: Roma v Napoli

first_img Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Roma could give Mert Cetin his first start as they host Napoli at the Stadio Olimpico, while doubts remain on the visiting front pair. It kicks off at 14.00 GMT, click here for a match preview. There is only one point separating the two sides going into the weekend, with Napoli drawing 2-2 in the controversial game against Atalanta and Roma putting four past Udinese. Federico Fazio is suspended due to his red card in Udine, he joins the lengthy list of absentees from the squad, which include the injured Lorenzo Pellegrini, Bryan Cristante, Amadou Diawara, Nikola Kalinic, Henrik Mkhitaryan and Davide Zappacosta. It means Mert Cetin could be in with a chance of making his full debut for the Giallorossi at the centre of defence. Gianluca Mancini will continue to deputise in central midfield. Edin Dzeko will lead the line, with Justin Kluivert, Javier Pastore and Nicolo Zaniolo expected to be playing just behind the Bosnian. Napoli meanwhile will be without coach Carlo Ancelotti, who was sent off in the draw against La Dea on Wednesday.  Right-back Kevin Malcuit is out for six months following knee surgery, midfielder Allan is also out for four weeks with a sprained knee. The good news is that former defender Kostas Manolas has returned to face his former club, whilst Mario Rui is also expected to return. Elseid Hysaj is struggling with a fratured sternum. Piotr Zielinski is expected to replace Allan in midfield, with Polish striker Arkadiusz Milik and Dries Mertens set to play up front, with Lorenzo Insigne and Jose Callejon on the wings. Mertens has a great record against Roma, scoring five goals from his last five games. However, there are mixed reports on who will lead the line this afternoon, as Hirving Lozano is also in with a shout. Roma: Pau Lopez; Spinazzola, Cetin, Smalling, Kolarov; Veretout, Mancini; Kluivert, Pastore, Zaniolo; Dzeko Napoli: Meret; Di Lorenzo, Manolas, Koulibaly, Mario Rui; Callejon, Zielinski, Fabian Ruiz, Insigne; Milik, Mertens Ref: Rocchilast_img read more

Read More →

COD 1561 Riverside Condominium Escazú for sale

first_img info heading info content https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-01.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-04.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-02.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-09.jpg Previous Image https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-08.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-10.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-07.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-05.jpg https://ticotimes.net/wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/1-561-03.jpg No related posts. Facebook Comments Price: $199,000COD: 1-561Email: [email protected]: +(506) 2258-1558Province: San JoséCantón: EscazúConstruction: 168m2Bedrooms: 2Bathrooms: 3This TWO bedroom unit has just been reduced from $269,000 to $199,900 for quick sale.Great unit in one of Escazú’ s best tower projects.Unit includes all furnishings and owner financing is available with the following terms and conditions:•30 percent down payment•Owner financing at 7 percent for 10 yearsAmenitiesAs you browse through the list of standard inclusions, you will realize why we consider Riverside Condominiums to be the best address in Costa Rica. Style and elegance are incorporated into each and every aspect of Riverside. Riverside residents enjoy the essentials: security, convenience, location and a quality of life second-to-none. Here is a sampling of the amenities Riverside has to offer:Recreation•Racquetball Court•Tropical – Style Swimming Pool•Whirlpool with waterfall•Green Area•Pavilion•Outdoor shower facilities by pool•Exercise room with showers and saunaAmbience/Lifestyle•Panoramic terraces with exceptional views•Bordered by a picturesque river•Exuberant tropical gardens elegantly landscaped•Artwork in the gardens (historic 10 foot anchor, replica of New York City)Technology•Structured wiring in the condominiums•Cable TV, Internet access•Broadband Internet connection•Minimum of three phone lines•Intercom system within the complexSecurity and Convenience•24 hour perimeter security service•Underground garage with elevator access•Automatic gates•Emergency power generator•Emergency water reserve tank•Anti-seismic U.S. standard construction•Ample visitor parkingSee this and other listings in the new Tico Times Real Estate section here. Next Imagelast_img read more

Read More →

People have been smoking pot to get high for at le

first_imgPeople have been smoking pot to get high for at least 2,500 years. Chinese archaeologists found signs of that when they studied the char on a set of wooden bowls from an ancient cemetery in western China.The findings are some of the earliest evidence of cannabis used as a drug.”We’ve known that cannabis is one of the oldest cultivated plants in East Asia, primarily for making oil and hemp,” says Mark Merlin, a botany professor at the University of Hawaii at Manoa who reviewed the study published in Science Advances. “Now we know the ancients also valued the plant for its psychoactive properties.”The set of 10 wooden braziers come from eight tombs at the ancient Jirzankal Cemetery on the Pamir Plateau in what is now China’s Xinjiang region. Researchers found chemical evidence of cannabis in residue on nine of the braziers, which held small stones that were apparently heated and used to burn the plants.Yimin Yang, an archaeologist at the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences and a co-author of the study, says the location of those artifacts suggests cannabis smoke was “being used during funeral rituals, possibly to communicate with nature or spirits or deceased people, accompanied by music.”The findings are consistent with what’s known about cannabis use across Central Eurasia, Yang says, “possibly reflecting some kind of community of shared beliefs in the Eurasian mountain foothills.” There is evidence of ancient cannabis use at funerals from frozen tombs in Russia’s Altai Mountains, and fifth century B.C. Greek historian Herodotus wrote of the Scythians using cannabis smoke as a post-burial cleansing rite in The Histories.The Pamir Plateau was a key trade area in antiquity that was “the locus of very long-distance exchanges for a very long time,” says Jade d’Alpoim Guedes, an archaeobotanist with the Scripps Institution of Oceanography who focuses on China but was not involved in this study. “Horses were brought to China around the 2nd millennium B.C., and so were wheat and barley; foxtail, broomcorn, millet moved west.”The research team’s findings, she says, “shows cannabis may have been one of the things moving along the routes early on.”The researchers aren’t sure where the ancient stoners sourced their cannabis. Wild plants tend to have low levels of THC, the main psychoactive compound in cannabis. This raises questions about “whether there was a wild population with higher THC levels that humans somehow discovered and specifically targeted, or whether some processes lead to the increased production of these chemicals in the plants,” says study co-author Robert Spengler of the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.He suggests the cemetery’s high-mountain environment, with more solar radiation and colder temperatures, could have influenced certain cannabis plants to produce more THC.Food- and fiber-producing strains of cannabis are among the oldest cultivated plants in East Asia, but the strains that cause drug effects are different. The researchers say their findings show that use of cannabis as a drug likely originated somewhere else, on the high plains of Central Asia.Pien Huang is NPR’s Reflect America Fellow, helping to bring more diverse voices to air and online. Copyright 2019 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.last_img read more

Read More →

A government climbdown over new disability benefit

first_imgA government climbdown over new disability benefit rules that were found by the high court to be unlawful and “blatantly discriminatory” demonstrates its failure to base its policies on sound research and evidence, say disabled campaigners.Esther McVey, the new work and pensions secretary, announced last Friday that she would not be appealing against the court’s finding, a decision that could mean that tens or even hundreds of thousands of disabled people will now be entitled to higher benefit payments.Regulations that came into force last March had meant that people who are unable to plan or undertake a journey due to overwhelming psychological distress would receive fewer qualifying points when assessed for personal independence payment (PIP).The new rules – which the government rushed through following an upper tribunal ruling which had found that such claimants should be entitled to those points – meant that many disabled people were entitled to a lower level of financial support for their mobility, and in many cases no mobility support at all.But the high court ruled last month that the new rules were unlawful, “blatantly discriminatory”, and breached article 19 (on independent living) of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.McVey’s decision means, she told MPs this week, that her Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will now be contacting as many as 220,000 disabled people who could be entitled to backdated payments.The legal case was supported from the beginning by the disabled people’s organisation Inclusion London through its Disability Justice Project.Svetlana Kotova, co-ordinator of the project, said: “This case is a great example of how disabled people should work with lawyers to stand up to the government and fight the injustice we experience.”   She added: “We knew those regulations were discriminatory and that’s why we supported this case from the start. “The threshold for the government to justify its discriminatory decisions about benefits is very low and in this case they could not cross even that. “The case laid bare the lack of evidence behind the DWP’s policy-making, which could not withstand scrutiny from the court. “In this case, the policy decision was based on unsupported assumptions made by DWP employees. “We knew from the beginning this justification was made up to mask the true purpose, which was to save money. We are delighted the judge saw it for what it was.”   Mr Justice Mostyn said in his judgement last month that DWP’s intention had been “to save money” and that the decision to introduce the new regulations had been “manifestly without reasonable foundation”.He said the work and pensions secretary had relied on a senior civil servant whose advice that people with psychological distress “generally have a lower level of functional need” had been “no more than a subjective opinion or hypothesis” and “a generalised assertion” without “factual or evidential basis”.Kotova said this was not the first time the government had failed to ground its policies in solid evidence.She said: “We are outraged that the policy which has an impact on thousands of disabled people was based on unsupported opinions of the DWP’s experts. “Sadly, the DWP does not know what our lives are really like and does not want to know, as they have failed to meaningfully engage with disabled people and our organisations for a long time.”The government U-turn comes in the same week that the Department for Transport (DfT) was forced to propose changes to its blue badge parking scheme, following a legal case taken by an autistic man with learning difficulties (see separate story).In that case, the man had had a blue badge for 30 years but was told by his local council that he no longer qualified because of changes brought in in 2014 following PIP’s introduction.This had made it almost impossible for many disabled people whose mobility is affected by mental health conditions or autism to secure a blue parking badge.The government failed to carry out an equality impact assessment of the changes before they were introduced.Picture: Activists outside the high court last monthlast_img read more

Read More →

STARTERS ORDERS Tues Movers Specials

first_imgWelcome to Starters Orders. Our daily midday update from the trading room at Star Sports with our key market movers for the day across all sports.Tuesday 3 April HORSE RACING3.55 LingfieldKey Player 14/1 > 13/24.25 LingfieldDutiful Son 8/1 > 5/15.30 LingfieldOutofthequestion 6/1 > 3/1CHAMPIONS LEAGUEUEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg19:45 BT Sport Showcase / BT Sport 39/2 Sevilla 8/13 Bayern Munich 7/2 DRAWUEFA Champions League Quarter-Final 1st Leg19:45 BT Sport 211/5 Juventus 7/5 Real Madrid 23/10 DRAWBET NOW starsports.bet or 08000 521 321last_img read more

Read More →